|Position Title: ||Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications || |
|Location: ||Big Rapids (Main Campus) || |
|Department: || |
70400 - Univ Marketing
|Advertised Salary: ||$130,000 - $135,000. Salary commensurate with education, experiences, and other requirements. Comprehensive benefit package (health care, vacation, etc.) || |
|FLSA: ||Exempt || |
|Temporary/Continuing: ||Continuing || |
|Part-Time/Full-Time: ||Full-Time || |
|Union Group: ||N/A || |
|Term of Position: ||12 Month || |
|At Will/Just Cause: ||At Will || |
|Summary of Position: ||The Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications reports to the Vice President for University Advancement and Marketing and will develop and implement a comprehensive and integrated marketing/communications strategy, as well as manage internal and external communications and public relations in support of the institution while enhancing the image of Ferris State University. The position will concentrate on strategic institutional communications, University-wide broad-based marketing and brand development, develop strong local and regional media relationships, promote community engagement, and develop and lead a team of marketing and communications professionals. || |
|Position Type: ||Staff || |
|Required Education: ||Bachelor's degree. || |
|Required Work Experience: ||Five to seven years leadership/management experience in Communications, Public Relations, and/or Marketing. |
Demonstrated experience implementing effective integrated marketing, branding, public relations, digital/online, design and communications principles and strategies.
Demonstrated effective fiscal management, policy development, directing department operations and developing staff.
Demonstrated leadership in building meaningful relationships (internally and externally).
|Required Licenses and Certifications: || || |
|Physical Demands: || |
- Office Environment
- Repetitive Movement
|Additional Education/Experiences to be Considered: ||Knowledge and understanding of the principles, processes and practices of marketing and communications, annual giving, alumni relations and advancement. |
Ability to work well as a part of a cooperative management team.
Strong working knowledge and ability to implement best practices and current techniques related to Communications, Public Relations and Marketing.
Knowledge of and commitment to innovative and motivational leadership as a team leader as well as a teammate.
Working knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Ferris State University and education overall.
Proven track record as a visionary leader and innovator in higher education and/or non-profit marketing/communications including successful leadership of a marketing/communications team of professionals.
Must be highly collaborative in partnering and building consensus with colleagues across multiple University departments and divisions.
|Essential Duties/Responsibilities: ||Work with members of the senior leadership team, Deans, faculty, staff, and students to develop and produce effective print and digital communications materials. |
Identify, develop, and manage a strategic internal and external communication plan for the University that can be measured for effectiveness and impact.
Advise executive leadership team on internal and external communications strategies including crisis communications.
Demonstrates an understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, especially in working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
Serve as the strategic and creative leader of University marketing campaigns including:
1. Develop a marketing resource plan for the University Marketing/Communications department
2. Develop a University brand awareness campaign to maximize budgeted resources.
3. Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to enhance overall awareness and stature of Ferris State University including macro-institutional messaging and advertising as well as increased local, regional, and national media coverage.
4. Serve in a support/collaborative role for academic program marketing and recruitment.
5. Serve as the institution’s official communications liaison between the University, the media, and all other external constituencies.
6. Develop measurable short- and long-term goals and outcomes for the University Marketing and Communications program.
7. Responsible for all aspects of budget oversight for all staff and programs in the department of University Marketing and Communications.
8. Convene periodic meetings with key internal areas served to ensure synchronicity. Collaborate with the chief executives of the colleges, schools, other units to measure performance, productivity, and accomplishment of intended outcomes. Oversee all non-marketing communications activities across a matrix of complex priorities, schedules, deliverables, and outcomes.
9. Develop strategies and tactics that showcase the scholarship, research, creative works, academic achievements, and expertise of the University’s highly esteemed faculty. Set and achieve metrics for faculty expert placement in the media, ensuring that appropriate support resources are in place to promote academic outcomes and success. Collaborate with faculty leaders to assess priorities, potential areas of focus, and mobilize resources accordingly.
10. Serve as the senior architect of the University’s public image and position by leveraging the university’s perceived strengths and credibility to build awareness and visibility. Drive institutional strategy and message development.
11. Serve as the university president’s strategic publicist. Increase earned impressions and featured placement of the president and presidential editorial priorities.
12. Work with current members of the communications and marketing team to review and assess the current organization structure of the department and develop a personnel resource plan that will maximize productivity and impact, including evaluation, promotion and role creation/clarification for all staff.
13. Lead a service-oriented team environment that fosters optimism, collaboration, transparency, teamwork, flexibility, and attention to detail.
14. Build and maintain positive and mutually beneficial relationships with local community leaders and organizations.
15. Serve on University committees and attend other meetings as designated by the Vice President of University Advancement and Marketing.
16. Elevate, preserve, and defend the university’s reputation by developing and executing proactive and comprehensive issues management and crisis communications strategies, reputational risk mitigation measures, and offensive/defensive communications tactics.
17. Any other duties assigned within the position classification area.
18. Reports directly to the Vice President for University Advancement and Marketing.
19. Performs all duties in compliance with applicable University policies and procedures and state and federal requirements.
20. Responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of designated information.
21. Supervise assigned staff and students as necessary.
|Marginal Duties/Responsibilities: ||Serve on various University and community committees as assigned. || |
|Skills and Abilities: ||Build relationships to effectively interface with all internal and external constituents. |
Outstanding communication (written, oral and interpersonal) skills.
Strong problem solving, research and analytical skills that can be applied to multiple projects or problems simultaneously.
Work well as part of cooperative management team.
Ability to foster collaborative thinking, team building, and develop talent and successful performance with staff.
Examine, evaluate and propose changes and enhancements to policy and procedures.
Develop and manage multiple projects and adhere to deadlines.
Willingness and ability to travel and to work an extended and varied schedule that frequently involves evening and weekends.
Demonstrated commitment, experience and understanding for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
|Required Documents: || |
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
|Optional Documents: || || |
|Special Instructions to Applicants: ||Please advise if you have any marketing or communications credentials. || |
|Initial Application Review Date: ||June 5th, 2023 || |
|Open Until Position is Filled?: ||True || |
|Posting Close Date: || || |
|EEO Statement: ||Ferris State University, an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, is committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within its community. Ferris offers employment opportunities to qualified candidates seeking careers in a student-focused environment that values opportunity, collaboration, diversity and educational excellence. Learn more about the Ferris Mission and community at ferris.edu. The University actively seeks applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups. For more information on the University’s Policy on Non-Discrimination, visit: Ferris Non-Discrimination Statement. || |
| || || |
| || || |