The director of marketing will play an integral role in driving revenue and attendance for the Department of Athletics. Taking a leadership role with the marketing, sales and communications staff, this individual will be responsible for increasing attendance, creating a positive and exciting game day atmosphere, increasing fan engagement, and furthering the brand of Rice Athletics.
The ideal candidate will have marketing and/or sales experience in collegiate athletics and a proven track record of driving attendance at events and enhancing fan engagement.
- Develops and executes marketing plans, including advertising and promotion
- Writes, develops, and designs select marketing sales/promotional materials including marketing fliers, email campaigns, and select social media campaigns
- Develops integrated marketing plans / programs and strategies to meet business objectives
- Leads event planning and execution of game day marketing operations and promotions at Rice sports, enhancing game day atmosphere and fan experience by executing game day scripts, organizing presentations and groups, coordinating spirit groups with the video board and managing in-game elements
- Organize and execute game day contests and entertainment by booking all entertainment
- Assists in vendor management on specific projects
- Conducts market research and analysis used to inform decisions regarding strategic marketing direction, product segmentation and customer targeting
- Assesses market opportunities and track market trends
- Recommends marketing improvements based on findings
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Work closely with ticket sales department to execute sales plan for assigned athletic events
- Develop and execute the student promotional plan, including advertising and promotion, which are designed to meet the department's goals for student attendance and participation
- Generate new revenue through the sale of tickets as the liaison for specific athletic events tied to home games (i.e. Youth Clinics, Educational groups, additional pre/post game events)
- Organize and execute game day contests and entertainment by booking all entertainment, developing contests and executing all items on game day
Education, Experience, and Licenses/Certifications Requirements
Two years of experience in sports marketing including experience gained while a student.
Must possess (or have the ability to obtain within thirty days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license and have no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past three years. Must not have any DUIs or DWIs within the past five years
No substitutions for education or experience allowed
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Organization and creativity skills
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Photo Shop, and various social media platforms
- Ability to work at athletic events, including outdoors
- work required at events on evenings and weekends
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
As a leading research university with a distinctive commitment to undergraduate education, Rice University aspires to pathbreaking research, unsurpassed teaching and contributions to the betterment of our world. It seeks to fulfill this mission by cultivating a diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders across the spectrum of human endeavor.