Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: 22000206
POSITION OVERVIEW This Vice President, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, will guide Cedars-Sinai's Brand, Marketing, and Communication strategies during a time of unprecedented change and opportunity in healthcare. The VP, CMCO will be instrumental in building and refining Cedars-Sinai's Brand, Communications, and marketing capabilities, including 1) helping to shape strategy and tactics as a member of the management team; 2) guiding and developing strategic Marketing initiatives targeting the organization's diverse audiences; and 3) serving as the public spokesperson for the organization.
This person will lead a team of Marketing and Communications staff members and manage external consultants and integrated marketing agencies. This role encompasses developing, implementing and evaluating long- and short-term initiatives focused on connecting key external and internal audiences with Cedars-Sinai in ways that support the institution's ability to achieve its goals and reinforce/enhance Cedars-Sinai's reputation, credibility and revenue to support its mission.
The VP, CMCO, and team will also monitor and analyze current Marketing and Communications practices, systems, and performance metrics, project future needs and initiate best practices to meet those needs. Build and shape a highly-effective, best-in-class Marketing capability by hiring, training, motivating and setting leadership direction for all Marketing and Communications staff. Continue to nurture a collaborative and brand-centric community within CS.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES 1. MARKETING STRATEGY * Lead ongoing development of an integrated Marketing & Communications strategy based on Cedar-Sinai's brand's positioning, defined organizational objectives, the market landscape, and a deep understanding of key internal and external audiences. * Develop messages and marketing/communications strategies across key traditional and digital channels, such as Print, Broadcast Media, Online/Digital, Social Media, Blogs, etc.). * Align the marketing and communications strategies with CS brand vision and growth strategies considering audience, message, medium, timing, and ROI. * Develop ongoing marketing budget aligned with CS organizational goals and clear business case, KPIs, and ROI metrics.
2. BRAND STEWARDSHIP * Collaborate with internal colleagues, external agency partners, and others to continually develop, differentiate, reinforce and enhance the "Cedars-Sinai" brand equity across all patient, professional, and health system touch-points. * Ensure the brand's value proposition is clearly defined and reinforced through campaigns that highlight our excellence in delivery of patient care and services and delivery of the CS research, education, and community citizenship agendas. * Develop and sharpen internal brand standards and brand guardrails for the organization to follow. * Continue to engrain the brand's positioning, equity, and essence across the CS organization and make it an important cultural feature.
Further the reputation of Cedars-Sinai as a premier provider of complex care services by overseeing a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that supports continued leadership rankings among peer institutions and demonstrates measurable engagement from referring specialists nationally and internationally.
3. MARKETING CHANNEL MANAGEMENT * Develop and maintain personas and audience definitions to support the personalization and localization of marketing campaigns. * Develop channel analytics capabilities that leverage various data sources to continuously optimize paid marketing spend and publisher mix across traditional and digital channels. * Define multi-dimensional performance metrics for channel performance and marketing outcome for campaigns, target geographies, target segments etc.
4. SERVICE LINE MARKETING * Lead and collaborate with Clinical Service Line leadership to develop omnichannel marketing and communication strategies to differentiate and position CS services across local, regional, and national target markets. * Collaborate with internal stakeholders to support various patient acquisition strategies, including marketing strategies to connect with patients, referral providers, and provider organizations. * Develop optimal channel strategies that include data-driven digital marketing tactics to engage and acquire new patients for various CS Service Lines.
Create and execute integrated marketing and communications strategies that build awareness of Cedars-Sinai's distinctive academic and research programs with the appropriate stakeholders and constituencies.
* Develop marketing and communications strategies to advance Service Line's clinical and academic reputation nationally among AMC peer groups and key opinion leaders.
5. PARTNERSHIP ECOSYSTEM * Establish and manage outside partnerships with communications, PR, Marketing and Brand agencies, and consultants. * Establish and manage marketing and brand sponsorships with various entities, including sports teams, community organizations, educational institutions, etc., to advance CS's organizational strategies and brand vision.
6. CONTENT STRATEGY * Develop and integrate an effective content strategy for our marketing and communcations strategies across traditional and digital channels (Owned--WebSite, Mobile, Blogs, Twitter, E-Mail; Earned--Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Word-of-Mouth, Buzz, Viral; Paid--Display Ads, Paid Search, Sponsorships). * Collaborate with our clinical leadership and other academic research stakeholders to develop content to differentiate the CS services, brand, and reputation. * Manage Creatives and Content development competencies for various marketing and communication strategies across the organization.
7. MARKETING TECHNOLOGY AND OPTIMIZATION * Collaborate with key stakeholders to assess and develop a strategic plan for CS to adopt effective data strategy and marketing technologies, such as CRM, marketing automation tools, measurement dashboards, etc. * Integrate data across various marketing channels and platforms and develop business outcomes-focused KPIs and dashboards.
8. MEDIA RELATIONS AND STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS * Work with Executive Leadership Team and external Agency partners to develop and maintain a strategic communication plan that supports and promotes all major organization initiatives and clinical programs, etc. * Lead and collaborate with internal CS colleagues and external Agency/Consultant resources to ensure all stakeholder touchpoints and media channels embrace and reflect the essence of the Cedars-Sinai brand, and that these communications are integrated effectively, produced efficiently and focused on driving results. * Lead all PR and Communications activities to build CS's reputation and drive preference. * Develop and maintain strong relationships with key local, regional and national media, along with important online media outlets. * Oversee and coordinate media queries and identify opportunities for media interviews with key CS physicians, staff, and executives.
9. INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS * Develop a best-in-class internal communications strategy and capability that will engage CS employees - and volunteers - at a personal level, drive emotional brand connection and progress the CS mission and culture. * Strengthen internal engagement across the CS organization, working with senior management to align strategic priorities with timely and transparent communication.
10. CRISIS MANAGEMENT * Develop, maintain and execute effective crisis management strategies, including anticipation/planning, establishing appropriate response teams, consulting with Risk, Compliance and Legal, training spokespeople, establishing notification and response systems, crafting messages for all critical stakeholders, and evaluating response effectiveness post-crisis.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS This Marketing and Communications leader must be a visionary with a proven track record of creating successful strategic messaging, campaigns and initiatives that drive corporate objectives and stakeholder engagement. The successful candidate must have an appreciation for the challenges and opportunities present at an academic medical system or comparably complex enterprise. S/he will have demonstrated experience in developing and implementing a substantive and cohesive vision for marketing and communications based on an organization's history and its strategic goals, and a record of successfully targeting and influencing key audiences. S/he should also have an enthusiasm for advancing Cedars-Sinai strategic initiatives.
In addition, candidates should possess the following:
15+ years of developing strategic marketing and communications programs that have driven measurable customer and stakeholder engagement and growth in support of the organizations business strategy.
Experience within an academic health system is desired; additional prior experience in a complex consumer-focused business is a plus.
Breadth of experience across marketing strategy and planning, brand strategy, customer segmentation, analytics and digital marketing, integrated campaign management and CRM /martech.
Broad experience in strategic communications including communications planning; digital, social and print media; media and public relations; perception management; and crisis management,
Advanced knowledge of current and emerging marketing trends and practices, including new and emerging strategies and technologies.
Ability to build relationships and collaborate across the organization, serving as a resource to others, inclusive and respectful of others expertise and perspectives.
Demonstrated experience in conceiving, implementing and evaluating strategic programs to achieve established goals.
Highly developed managerial and leadership skills with a track record of building, motivating and managing high performance teams towards the accomplishment of established goals.
Exceptional interpersonal communication and political acumen to communicate and collaborate with a variety of professionals and public officials.
Advanced market research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Strong organizational skills, an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Superb written and oral communication skills.
EDUCATION Bachelor's Degree in Business or related field required; Master's Degree is a plus.
Working Title: Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer
Providing healthcare for more than 100 years, Cedars-Sinai has evolved into one of the most dynamic and highly renowned medical centers in the world. Along with caring for patients, Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research and a training center for future physicians and other healthcare professionals. This attracts exceptional talent to Cedars-Sinai, including world-renowned physician-scientists who seek a place where they can both conduct research and see patients--the ideal formula for discovery and its translation into cures. Our patients benefit from access to doctors at the top of their fields, and our researchers have an ideal community in which to study the impact of healthcare challenges, and reflect that knowledge in their research. The greater Los Angeles area in which Cedars-Sinai resides possesses unparalleled cultural and ethnic diversity which offers outstanding opportunities for translational and clinical research and a dynamic environment for medical education.Although community based, Cedars-Sinai is a major t...eaching hospital affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Cedars-Sinai has highly competitive graduate medical education programs in more than 50 specialty and subspecialty areas, a graduate program in biomedical sciences and translational medicine, a clinical scholars program directed towards junior physicians with aspirations to become clinical scientists, and post graduate training opportunities.There are more than 250 full-time faculty members at Cedars-Sinai. The voluntary medical staff, comprised of more than 2,200 specialty board-certified or board-qualified physicians, represent all of the specialties and subspecialties and collaborate with full-time medical staff in the teaching responsibilities of the graduate medical education programs.