Under the general direction of the Associate AD, External Relations, this position will report to the Director of Marketing and Fan Experience and is responsible for the marketing, promotions and fan experience for select sports; will also serve in a secondary supporting marketing role for football both in the office and on game days; contributes to the development and implements marketing, game operations and promotional plans to enhance the brand and revenue of Cal Poly Athletics; coordinates fulfillment of business sponsorships with Mustangs Sports Properties; manages the Mustang Kids Club and community outreach programs; manages student fan group (Stang Gang) and coordinates with the Cal Poly Band for performances at Athletics events. The position works closely with campus groups to enhance the student participation in sporting events, and manages the internship program.
The following examples illustrate typical work activities and are not meant to be all inclusive or restrictive:
1. Develops marketing and promotions activities for select intercollegiate sports. Design promotions specific to each sport or event. With assistance from graphic design assistant, produce collateral material including brochures, posters, schedule cards, flyers and ads, including developing distribution plans.
2. Collaborate with Cal Poly Ticket Office to implement plan to meet all ticket revenue goals, including student, individual, mini-plan, season and group ticket sales.
3. Assist with coordinating Athletics events including setting up the press box. Develop and coordinate scoreboard, music and video board operations as appropriate for Athletics events, including arranging and managing all content and in-game promotions. This position will also serve in a secondary supporting marketing role for football both in the office and on game days.
4. Coordinate activities and interact with Mustangs Sports Properties. Provide fulfillment of business sponsorship programs.
5. Collaborate with Mustangs Sports Properties to help facilitate incremental sales.
6. Advance the goal of making Cal Poly Athletics game experience enjoyable for all in attendance.
7. Oversee internship program. Evaluate and hire student interns to provide support in marketing and promotions area. Establish job responsibilities for each student worker and supervise activities.
8. Oversee Mustang Kids Club and coordinate community outreach efforts for teams and the department. Develop marketing plan to increase membership in the Kids Club. Coordinate Kids Club events, mailers, and membership benefits. Increase the community outreach efforts through development of new programs.
9. Assist with Mustang Athletic Fund scholarship drive and auction.
10. Manage student spirit group (Stang Gang)
Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only):
Bachelor's degree and three years of progressively responsible experience in marketing and public relations, or a related field.
1. Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, practices, principles and techniques related to communications in the public affairs, media, marketing, and sports information areas.
2. Knowledge of sales and marketing strategies typically used within intercollegiate athletics.
3. Ability to coordinate media activities in conjunction with athletic events.
4. Working knowledge of copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media.
5. Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods. Ability to apply market research to identify communication needs and target audiences.
6. Thorough knowledge of and ability to use effectively media outlets including planning media coverage and media publicity campaigns for the university and events.
7. Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of campus events and subject matter expertise in relation to current events to identify and capitalize on media opportunities that will promote the university and increase positive media coverage.
8. Thorough knowledge of web communication techniques, vehicles and formats. Ability to effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals. Ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information.
9. Ability to analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into communication vehicles.
10. Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods. Ability to apply market research to identify communication needs and target audiences.
11. Ability to apply appropriate statistical techniques and methods to research or sports information.
12. Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, publisher, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
13. General knowledge of budget policies and procedures. Ability to perform business math, analyze budgetary data, and make accurate projections requiring some inference.
14. Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
15. Ability to build and manage more sophisticated media contacts.
16. Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public speaking, listening and interpretive skills.
17. Strong story development and journalistic writing skills, as well as advanced editorial skills. Knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver media messages.
18. Ability to provide lead work direction.
-Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with an NCAA Division I Athletics program.
-Working knowledge of design software programs.
-Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business. Exempt:
This position classification has been defined as exempt and is not subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.'
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
About Us Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university, with approximately 17,500 undergraduate, 120 post-baccalaureate, and 900 graduate students. The Cal Poly community fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students, staff, and faculty are partners in discovery. Cal Poly has built an exemplary reputation on its learn-by-doing approach to the preparation of undergraduate and graduate students. It is a distinctive learning community offering academically focused students a hands-on educational experience that prepares them for today's scientific and technical world. Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Cal Poly #1 among public master's universities in the western United States for 24 consecutive years. The University values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. As a campus, we welcome and nurture a rich array of different perspectives, ideas and cultures. We encourage international an...d multi-cultural education in order to prepare students for successful participation and competition in a diverse world and a global workforce. We believe that diversity of our students, faculty, and staff enlivens and enriches Cal Poly’s educational environment.