The overall purpose of this position is to be responsible for generating revenue for the IEEE Computer Society. The position involves sales management (inside and outside sales), market research, and marketing (includes influencing product development and pricing), promotion (including social media).
This position is responsible for • Managing sales revenue and expense: Establishes sales plans to meet revenue, margin, and ROI targets; Determines the mix of inside and outside sales; is directly accountable for performance of sales teams and vendors. Responsible for research, recruitment, and vetting of sales agents; Fosters and develops all sales channels; With the Marketing & Sales Director, interfaces with the IEEE M&S department to look for profitable synergies • Market research: directly responsible for the market research function of the Society; Identifies target audiences, conducts research, communicates and analyzes results, puts findings into action • Marketing: on the basis of research, makes recommendations on products, pricing, and markets. Includes competitive analysis. Communicates plainly the rationale and expected ROI. • Promotions: implement programs for lead development, direct marketing, PR, social media, trade shows, and advertising. Owns the relationship with IEEE Corporate Communications
This role reports to the Director of Marketing and Sales and manages 5 direct reports. This position makes strategic and tactical sales and marketing decisions that impact the IEEE Computer Society’s overall revenue and profit. This position will meet weekly with the Director, Marketing and Sales.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
• Sales Management (20%): Directs sales teams and business development managers to define and expand the CS portfolio and customer base worldwide; Recruits and manages relationships with outside sales to represent and sell the IEEE CS products worldwide; Negotiates agreements and contracts. Responsible for increasing revenue via direct sales or partnerships. Interfaces with and develops relationships with C-level executives at strategic accounts to drive our programs; Provides strategic direction to CS M&S Director and other Directors as required • Market Research (20%): Provides strategic analysis of markets, competitors, and usage trends to identify opportunities for new business or new products. Understands pricing power, ROI, margin, and geographical issues that drive pricing; Sets individual pricing, corporate pricing, geographic pricing, and various bundles and discounts • Marketing Strategies (20%): Develops marketing strategies to drive sales. Conducts research and competitive analyses; Prices products and influences product development; Informs product teams of relevant findings so as to guide them to success; Coordinates with membership marketing strategy • Promotions (20%): Manages all promotions and public relations. Includes the coordinated use of social media channels across all of M&S. Influences the social media strategy across the organization; Products promoted include the Computer Society Digital Library, computer.org, corporate training, professional education, webinars, conferences, publications (including conference publications), and events. Coordinates with membership promotion strategy • Reporting (20%): Reports sales and pipeline metrics on monthly/quarterly basis for Executive Staff; Helps define and recommend business analytic tools to drive sales discipline within the organization
Follow the employer's instructions to apply for this job.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business Management or Marketing or equivalent experience
• Master’s or other advanced degree in Business Administration, Education, or other related field highly desirable
• Experience in marketing program development; Market research experience highly desired
• Minimum of 10 years sales and sales management experience in technology related fields
• Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, presentation and language skills, reporting skills, and organizational discipline.
• Must demonstrate ability to work with C-level executives, academics and corporate research executives.
Skills & Other Requirements:
• Must have strong analytical skills so as to understand cost structures and their effects on pricing
• Must be a technically savvy knowledge worker who seeks out technology solutions to business challenges
• Must lead by example and build influence based on trust, coaching, and direct leadership of sales
• Strong technology foundation with proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, email and database packages a requirement
• Since this position involves significant interaction with customers and sales management, excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills are critical
• Excellent problem solving abilities e.g. identifying and executing solutions to highly complex problems.
• Ability to see the big picture, identify what’s needed, and develop solutions with the team and leading the execution of these solutions
• Must be willing to travel up to 35% as needed
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under Category I – office positions.
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled