Backroads is the world’s leading premium active travel company. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled. We think that exploring a landscape through your own power (bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. We love a little luxury along the way, but not the affected kind. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company (we’ve been around for nearly 40 years) and like to work in a tightly knit, collaborative and dynamic environment where you’ll have ownership of your areas, then you’ll fit right in!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are entering an exciting phase in our evolution, with investments in marketing automation and CRM systems. In this newly created role, you will drive strategy, implementation and performance for all aspects of the email channel across prospecting, nurture and repeat for marketing, sales and business development. We’re looking for an experienced email marketer to evolve and grow our customer engagement programs. The successful candidate will have developed, executed, managed and optimized established programs across all stages of the guest life cycle. This is a critical program for our business; bring your big ideas and your practical experience in growing customer engagement. In addition to email marketing, you will partner with our channel managers to fully leverage the power of Marketo across channels. If you’ve mastered the email channel, and you are ready to learn and explore how email can bolster other performance channels, this is a great opportunity for growth and new learning.
• Develop and manage monthly email calendar to document and schedule all email communications.
• Align campaigns to maximize segmentation objectives, support direct mail and other channels.
• Partner with trip development teams to identify new offerings to communicate.
Email Campaign Development, Deployment and Optimization
• Optimize against key metrics including CTR, open rates, and advertisers registered.
• Manage a continuous, meticulously planned and documented testing plan to continually improve performance of the email channel.
• Monitor email performance of one-time and automated emails and make recommendations to grow the email marketing channel.
• Track email best practices, monitor industry trends, and make recommendations.
• Maintain high quality and accuracy of email templates and email lists
• Identify, create, and develop customer segmentation strategies and ongoing communications plans targeted towards those segments. • Provide guidance on email best practices during campaign development and the creative process
• Report channel metrics to measure impact on company KPIs and initiatives
• Create and execute A/B tests on an ongoing basis to continually improve email performance
• Execute 100% error-free email campaigns while meeting deadlines, balancing multiple projects, and proactively communicating project status.
• Understanding of email marketing operations, technology, testing techniques and platforms; specifically building requirements for list segmentation, workflows and triggered events. Prior experience included specific revenue or engagement metrics for the channel
• Experience in e-commerce or multi-channel retail strong plus, ability to relate and translate to super-premium brand with considered purchase cycle
• Proficiency with email tools (Exact Target, Responsys, etc), CRMs (e.g., Salesforce), and marketing automation tools (e.g., Marketo) required
• BS or BA, preferably in business
• 3+ years’ experience creating and launching email campaigns. Should have knowledge of email best practices including subject lines, messaging, segmentation, list management, deliverability and CAN-SPAM/anti-spam laws.
• Strong working knowledge of HTML and CSS for emails, including responsive coding principles
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with a maniacal attention to detail
• Experience designing and implementing A/B and multivariate tests
Please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Email Marketing & Marketo Programs Specialist – web” in the subject line of your email.
Backroads, the world's #1 active travel company, develops and runs first-class bicycling, walking and multisport vacations around the world. Our mission is to provide total guest satisfaction and superior results in all we do.