A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Market Title: Marketing Director
Working Title: Director of Marketing
Department:Marketing and Annual Giving, Office of University Development
Reports to:Senior Director, Marketing and Annual Giving
Supervises directly:Marketing Strategist, Marketing Production Manager
Position Summary:This position is part of the senior leadership team for OUD executive/internal communications, marketing, annual giving (uAG) and student engagement in the Office of University Development (OUD). As such, the Director of Marketing helps steer the vision and mission of the department.
The role of the Director of Marketing is to provide leadership in marketing strategy, integrated brand management, idea generation, operations, and production. Seen as a subject matter expert in direct marketing, the Director will oversee programs that achieve fundraising goals for the university and its units, partner with development colleagues across the university and within OUD, and serve as primary liaison to assigned affinity partners for which he/she will offer strategic consultation and deliver marketing programs that propel the organization and culture of philanthropy to a new level.
50% Marketing Strategy Leadership / Concept Development / Collaboration
•Helps define objectives and strategies and generate innovative ideas in collaboration with the Senior Director of Marketing and Annual Giving and other development colleagues
•Develops marketing plans based upon a deep understanding of marketing, media and production principles
•Is an expert in marketing functions, especially:
• Plans and implements programs designed to support fundraising objectives
• Liaises across OUD and university partners to build relationships and deliver expertise
oGuides non-marketing colleagues in understanding marketing processes
oServes as strategic consultant for ad-hoc S/C/U and OUD interests and projects
oChampions best marketing practices
• Serves as the primary marketing consultant and partner in determining objectives, creating strategies, and delivering tactics for assigned affinity partnerships
• Works internally and with outside vendors to execute all needed analysis and market research
• Analyzes and presents consistent, timely reporting on internal key performance indicators
35% Production and Operations Supervision
• Documents overall communications and solicitation calendar, ensuring appropriate timing of all communications
• Leads operational initiatives related to project management and production efficiencies
• Provides consultation on potential bottlenecks in timelines, enhancement for segmentation and content of projects, and overall campaign planning. Works with colleagues and vendors to ensure that projects are completed on time, on strategy, and on budget
5% Industry Knowledge
Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the marketing and fundraising fields. This includes:
• Participating in peer networking opportunities
• Participating in professional education opportunities
• Monitoring of marketing trade publications and websites
• Recruits, manages and mentors staff
• In consultation with leadership, establishes departmental objectives
• Maintains and reconciles departmental budgets
5% Additional Duties as necessary to accomplish departmental goals
• 7-10 years marketing experience in all aspects of marketing and strategic planning
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, communications, or a related area
• Ability to develop innovative ideas: a creative thinker
• Demonstrated self-starter and quick worker
• In-depth knowledge of direct mail, print and video production
• Ability to establish priorities and objectives
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with multiple teams, communicate with a wide variety of people and mentor subordinates
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Passionate about the University of Michigan and fundraising
• Familiarity with university policies and procedures
• Advanced degree
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Office of University Development Mission
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive, and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations, and corporations.
Marketing Team Mission
The marketing team provides expert strategic marketing guidance, planning and execution to development colleagues throughout the University of Michigan, and partners in sharing impactful stories that celebrate and inspire life-changing support.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For..." survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.